The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 has been in the news for all the wrong reasons, and the company this week finally announced a halt to production and global sales of the smartphone due to safety concerns. Samsung further warned buyers to “power down and stop using the device (including replacements)” immediately, as they were fire hazards. However, not everyone has taken heed of that warning yet, and a new home security camera video has popped up on the Internet showing a Galaxy Note 7 catching fire and billowing smoke in a house in Honolulu.
The video footage, posted by Associated Press, shows a woman named Dee Decasa handling a smoking Galaxy Note 7 device with a great deal of composure and calm. However, due to the shock caused by this incident, she fainted in her living room near her sofa. Ironically, Dee Decasa had reportedly visited Samsung’s own website before the device started smoking.
Even though this event did not result in any serious injuries, it should serve as a wake-up call for those consumers who have not responded to the company’s request to stop using and power down their Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphones.
The South Korean company is currently trying to contain the damage that has been caused to its brand of smartphones but reports suggest that the second recall of the Galaxy Note 7 might end up costing the company as much as much as $17 billion.